A while back we brought you news of Wellingtons impending Mt Vic Super D. Well it looks like the thing has snuck up on us as it’s only two weeks away (it’s on the 3rd of April). Track designer and builder Rod Bardsley has been super busy getting Mt Vic dialled for the race and whether or not you’re up there to win, Sunday should be a hell of a fun day. Full Press release and details below.
Monster Energy Super D – Sunday 3rd April 2011
The mostly downhill cross country race.
The Wellington Mountain Bike Club in association with Port Nicholson Poneke Cycling Club are proud to present the Monster Energy Super D for 2011 – to be held on Mt Victoria in Wellington on Sunday 3rd April 2011.
• Each Rider will have one timed race run from top to bottom of the track with the shortest time taking the win.
• Times taken in the mornings practice session will also be used to seed riders for their race runs.
• Registration: 9am – 12pm
• Practice: 9.30am – 12.30pm
• Racing starts: 1.30pm
• Prize giving: 4pm
• Entry Fee: $35 for all riders
• $500 will be awarded to both the fastest man and woman.
• Prize money for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category.
• Spot prizes that any competitor can win.
• FREE Monster Energy drinks.
Under 15, Under 17, Under 19, Senior Men (20-29), Masters 1 (30-39), Masters 2 (40+), Open Woman.
Car parking at the event will be available at limited capacity on Alexander Rd, overflow parking is available at the Haitati Park grounds, accessed by Ruahine St. Parking at the shuttle pick up or drop off areas is strictly prohibited.
So what is Super D?
A Super D race is best described as a Downhill Cross-Country race. It includes little technical elements of downhill and has some pedalling to even the field. Any bike will do for a Super D race, but this category of racing is where the all-mountain/trail bikes with 4 to 6 inches of travel can really excel.
You can pre-enter online at Bicycle.co.nz here. There will be on the day entries, but entries are limited to 200 competitors.